Multi-sensory activity using play sand, coloured sand or mixies sand
This is a wonderful multi-sensory activity that can help to enhance fine motor skills at the same time as being super fun! The aim of the play is to search through the sand to find and sort the dinosaur figurines, lowercase letter d and uppercase letter D into the matching baskets.
It’s a great opportunity to practice the letter D, talking about words that begin with this letter sound. This activity can be adapted using any selection of toys and letters to dig for!
To create the play you will need:
- A box/tub
- Natural Play Sand, Coloured Sand or Mixies Sand
- Dinosaur Figurines
- Lowercase and Uppercase letter d’s (we drew our on some recycled cardboard)
- 3 small baskets/bowls (or yoghurt pots in our case!)
Learning opportunities from this activity:
- Letter recognition
- Oral language development – hearing the sound and saying it out aloud
- Development of fine motor skills
- Eye and hand coordination – watching, doing and coordinating these actions
- Sensory development – feeling and manipulating objects
- Learning alphabet letter names and sounds
Let the excavation begin!